Welcome

Dear GBCN students
Welcome to study tips. I hope you find information here that will help you in your journey through nursing school. I also hope that in time, you will add to this blog, in a way that will enrich others academically.

Search This Blog

Monday, January 11, 2010

Assesing your learning style

ASSESSING YOUR LEARNING STYLE
Activity
Column 1-visual
Column 2- auditory
Column 3-tactile/kinesthetic

1. While I try to concentrate…
C1) I grow distracted by clutter or movement, and I notice things in my visual field that other
people don't
C2) I get distracted by sounds, and I prefer to control the amount, and type of noise around me.
C3) I become distracted by commotion, and I tend to retreat inside myself.

2. While I am visualizing…
C1)I see vivid, detailed pictures in my thoughts.
C2)I think in voices and sounds.
C3)I see images in my thoughts that involve movement.

3. When I talk to someone…
C1)I dislike listening for very long.
C2)I enjoy listening, or I may get impatient to talk.
C3)I gesture and use expressive movements.

4. When I contact people…
C1) I prefer face-to-face meetings.
C2) I prefer speaking by telephone for intense conversations.
C3) I prefer to interact while walking or participating in some activity.

5. When I see an acquaintance…
C1) I tend to forget names but usually remember faces, and I can usually remember where we
met
C2) I tend to remember people’s names and can usually remember what we discussed.
C3) I tend to remember what we did together and may almost “feel” our time together.

6. When I am relaxing…
C1) I prefer to watch TV, see a play, or go to a movie.
C2) I prefer to listen to the radio, play music, read, or talk with a friend.
C3) I prefer to play sports, make crafts, or build something with my hands.

7. While I am reading…
C1) I like descriptive scenes and may pause to imagine the action.
C2) I enjoy the dialogue most and can “hear” the characters talking.
C3) I prefer action stories, but I rarely read for pleasure.

8. When I am spelling…
C1) I try to see the word in my mind or imagine what it would look like on paper.
C2) I sound out the word, sometimes aloud, and tend to recall rules about letter order.
C3) I get a feel for the word by writing it out or pretending to type it.

9. When I do something new…
C1) I seek out demonstrations, pictures or diagrams.
C2) I like verbal and written instructions and talking it over with someone else.
C3) I prefer to jump right in to try it, and I will keep trying and try different ways.

10. When I assemble something…
C1) I look at the picture first and then, maybe, read the directions.
C2) I like to read the directions, or I talk aloud as I work.
C3)I usually ignore the directions and figure it out as I go along.

11. When I am interpreting someone’s mood…
C1) I mostly look at his or her facial expression.
C2) I listen to the tone of the voice.
C3) I watch body language.

12. When I teach others how to do something…
C1) I prefer to show them how to do it.
C2) I prefer to tell them or write out how to do it.
C3) I demonstrate how it is done and ask them to try.

TOTAL
Visual:

______________
Auditory:

_______________
Tactile/Kinesthetic:

________________



Visual Learners

You rely heavily on visual cues. You notice your teacher’s mannerisms, expressions, gestures, and body language. Seeing these cues is especially helpful, so sit at the front of the classroom, close to the teacher. You tend to think in pictures and learn well from visual aids such as diagrams, illustrations, tables, videos and hand-outs.

Some Tips:

· In class, take detailed notes and make sketches.

· When studying on your own, draw pictures that relate to the information, make flow charts and concept maps, use flash cards, focus on illustrations and tables in your textbook, and read the captions that accompany them.

· Use mental visualization of the material you are studying and imagine you acting out process.

Auditory Learners

You learn well from traditional lectures and discussion. You listen carefully to your teacher’s vocal pitch, tone, speed, and mannerisms. Material that you struggle with while reading becomes clearer when you hear it.

Some Tips:

· Read the textbook and your notes out loud.

· Tape record the lectures so you can listen to them later. Taping lectures also allows you to listen during class instead of focusing on writing, which is less beneficial for you.

· Work in a study group and discuss material with your teacher and friends.

Tactile Learners

You learn best by actively participating and doing hands-on activities. You may become bored easily in class from sitting still too long and start fidgeting or doodling. You need to do something physical while studying and learning.


Some Tips:

· Try using a marker to highlight important information while you are reading.

· Write out your own notes in class and while reading the textbook. Later, transfer your notes to another book or type them into your computer.

· Draw pictures of appropriate material as you read.

· Build models of anatomical structures using clay or other materials.

· Hold your book and walk while reading.

· Make and use your own flash cards

· Keep your hands and your mind busy together.



Source

Garrett, L.K. (2007). Get Ready for A&P. Study Skills (p5-10). San Fransisco: CA: Pearson Bejamin Cummings.

1

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to share that I used this learning style tool and it has been helpful in being successful in nursing school. I am an auditory learner so I set closer to the front of class, I record my lectures in case I miss important info, I read aloud main pointsf and when I do practice exam I read the questions and answers aloud which helps reinforce concepts. I feel that whatever I can do to enhance my learning is what I need to do. I hope this learning assessment tool helps you too. Please share comments.

    ReplyDelete